SLED Certified Officer Training
SC Security Officer Training Center
with SC Private Security
Starting in Jan. 17, 2017, All Security Officers in SC who are SLED Certified must take the minimum class “Primary Basic”.
This page has all the explanations of all our Training and Pricing as well (near the bottom).
If you are going to carry a Handgun, Handcuffs, Taser, OC Pepper Spray or anything on your duty belt, you must take the “Primary Plus” class as well.
There is a lot of information here. Be sure to glance at the entire page from top to bottom.
Primary Basic: (Mandatory) A basic knowledge of what you can do as a legal SLED Certified Security Officer on the property you protect. To become an ” Unarmed Officer”. This class is all you will need to be a basic SLED Certified Officer. Taking this class does NOT include weapons, Handcuffs, Use of Force and Authority to arrest.
Primary Plus: (Optional) This class is basically an upgrade to certify you in many things such as Handcuffing, Use of force, Handguns, Taser and OC Pepper Spray. This class gives you the same authority as a Sheriffs deputy on the property you protect. YOU CANNOT take this class unless you have been to the “Primary Basic“. Primary Plus can be broken down many ways as explained below.
To help you understand “Primary Plus” better:
A. You can ask for Authority to arrest, Use of force and Handcuffing with the Laws and nothing else, no weapons at all. This is the bare minimum for “Primary Plus”. If you take this, it allows you to carry handcuffs and make arrests.
B. You can certify in Taser and NOT with a handgun or OC Pepper Spray.
C. You can certify in OC Pepper Spray only and NOT do the handgun and Taser.
D. You can certify in the handgun only and NOT do the OC Pepper Spray or Taser.
E. You can certify in all of the above and become a “Premium” more marketable officer for any agency that is ready to hire.
F. With options B, C and D….you will have handcuffing, authority to arrest and laws as well.
To break it down: In other words, To become a “mall security guard” all you need is Primary Basic because usually they don’t let you have too much authority. However, everything an officer needs to carry on his duty belt for example handguns, Taser, OC Pepper Spray, Batons and Handcuffs will have to be trained by a person that is Certified to train you with these weapons. This training falls under the Primary Plus Training. WE OFFER THIS TRAINING.
For Taser classes, click here.
For OC Pepper Spray classes, click here.
For Weapons (Handgun) classes, click here
Here is what you need to know:
- The NEW REGULATIONS have really helped Security Officers. Now, you can hold more than 1 SLED Card. In the past, a Security Officer couldn’t work for more than 1 company….now you can. This is a great thing because some companies need part time Officers. So, you can be an Unarmed Officer at 1 company and become an Armed Officer at another. This also allows Officers to get more hours by being flexible working for more than 1 company. YOU WILL GET A SLED CARD FOR EACH COMPANY YOU WORK FOR.
- All SLED Certified Officers are required to have “Primary Basic” at a minimum.
To become a
SLED Certified Officer
Primary Basic Class: (Mandatory)
- Teachings: This will teach you the basics of what you should do as a Security officer on the property you protect. This class gives you the bare minimum to become a SLED Certified Officer. You will NOT learn everything there is to know about statutes and laws, but you will be given a lot of information to take with you to help you learn more than we can teach in the allotted time. This class will prepare you to become a SLED Certified Officer for SC in an Unarmed post, carrying only a flashlight and a duty belt.
- Group Pricing: Once we know how many students, we can discuss this.
- What to bring: Bring a notebook and pen. Dress casual or in uniform. ID Card, License, S.S. Card. You will be finger printed and a picture will be taken. NO WEAPONS AT ALL.
- Class duration: 4 hours.
- There will be a written test you must pass to Certify.
- When you leave this class: You will receive a Certificate, a binder with everything you were taught in class, your training records for SLED. You will be able to apply to SLED (Plus application fee) for your Unarmed SLED Security officer Card. You will have to have a company sponsor you on the application. If you do not, we will be your sponsor.
Primary Plus Class: (Optional)
Are you doing weapons training? Are you just doing Handcuffing with the Laws? Are you doing OC Pepper Spray? What about Taser? So, to really give you an idea of “What to bring” and “How long the class will be” we would need to know what you want done in the “Primary Plus” Training.
- Teachings: You will need the Primary Basic class 1st to take this class. You can schedule Primary Basic and Primary Plus together. This class will go into more details about Patrol Procedures, Vehicle Operations, Reasonable suspicion, Handling difficult people, Use of force, Testimony, Investigative Detention. You will be given an in depth manual that will provide a lot of information to advance your knowledge of what you can do and what you should not do. Unless specified, this does NOT cover weapons training at all. When you are done, you will have the authority to arrest and carry handcuffs….No weapons at all.
- Group Pricing: We can discuss as we know the amount of students.
- What to bring: Bring a notebook and pen. Dress casual or in uniform. Your proof of Primary Basic Training if you are only doing the “Primary Plus”. You can bring your own handcuffs if you want.
- Class duration: (Primary Plus ONLY) 4 – 5 hours.
- When you leave this class: You will receive a Certificate, a binder with everything you were taught in class, your training records for SLED. You will be able to apply to SLED (Plus application fee) for your Unarmed SLED Security officer Card. You will have to have a company sponsor you on the application. If you do not, we will be your sponsor. If you signed up for Armed, you would be able to send for the “Armed” SLED Card.
Pricing broke down:
Primary Basic alone (No weapons): $100.00 / 4 hours. This class all alone will give you the minimum to become a SLED Certified Officer.
Primary Plus alone (No weapons) with Handcuffing and Laws: $100.00 / 4 hours. This is the 2nd part of the training. Once completed, you will have the authority to arrest and carry Handcuffs. You can only take this if you have had the “Primary Basic” Class 1st.
Primary Basic and Primary Plus together (No Weapons) with Handcuffing and Laws $125.00 / 8 hours. This is if you take both classes together and will give you the authority to arrest with Handcuffs.
Primary Plus alone with Handgun, Handuffing and Laws $110.00 / 4 – 5 hours. When finished with this option, you can be an Armed officer with the authority to arrest with Handcuffs. Does not include range fees, bullets and weapons rental, For more explanation click here. You can only take this if you have had the “Primary Basic” Class 1st.
Primary Basic and Primary Plus together, with Handgun, Handuffing and Laws $135.00 / 8 – 9 hours. When finished with this option, you can be an Armed officer with the authority to arrest with Handcuffs. Does not include range fees, bullets and weapons rental, For more explanation click here.
Primary Plus alone with Handgun ONLY. This means you already had Handcuffing and Laws. You will be an Armed officer. $100.00 / 4 hours. Does not include range fees, bullets and weapons rental, For more explanation click here. You can only take this if you have had the “Primary Basic” Class 1st.
When you get done with any of the SLED training regarding “Primary Basic” or “Primary Plus” you will not be certified at that instant moment. YOU WILL have to send in your application to SLED with the training records from our company, with the SLED fees, finger prints, photo, etc. We walk you through this whole process. Once approved by SLED, then you will be an “official SLED certified officer”.
Taser and OC Pepper Spray? We cannot fit Taser and OC Pepper Spray in the above classes because of the amount of time required. To do all of our training will take 2 full days to be a SLED Certified Armed officer with Handcuffing, Weapons, Taser and OC Pepper Spray. We can price a full package for this option per student or a group price.
Can you meet SLED’s Requirements?
To visit SLED’s website,
click the photo below and review their policies and regulations for becoming a SLED Certified Armed or Unarmed officer.
Here is what will DISQUALIFY you!